Pages


Sunday, August 7, 2022

2020-22 APW George Collie Award Exhibition Opening + Award Presentation



In the car on the way to yesterday’s opening of the APW George Collie Memorial Award Exhibition, I wrote the following on my phone, mainly because I didn’t want to forget to thank anyone. Although I didn’t read from the notes at the opening, my words came out much the same as what I’d written (if a bit more garbled) so I thought I’d share them here:

The Australian Print Workshop has been a big part of my life, but never in a million years did I dream I’d be standing here in this context. 

L-R: Myself, APW Artistic Director and CEO, Anne Virgo and 2022 Award Recipient, Hertha Kluge-Pott. 
The works behind us are by my fellow 2020 Award Recipient, Barbara Hanrahan.  

Firstly, I’d like to thank Anne Virgo for inviting me to be part of this prestigious award way back in 2000. I was doubly thrilled to learn I would be sharing it with the late, great Barbara Hanrahan.

Myself and Hertha Kluge-Pott

Since 2000, we’ve been riding the waves of COVID. A major benefit of waiting so long for this day to arrive is that my works now hang alongside two other artists whose works I’ve long admired, the 2021-22 Award Recipients, Ann Newmarch and Hertha Kluge-Pott.

In fact, there’s not an artist among the list of distinguished past recipients whose works I don’t hold in high regard. It’s an enormous  privilege to be counted among them. 



.

Screenprint by Ann Newmarch OAM 

Intaglio prints by Hertha-Kluge Pott

A big thank you to the wonderful team at the APW, particularly Liz Errol, and similarly Alex Gillies, who hung this show so beautifully. Thank you both for the elegant artist book and zine displays too. 


Outside the APW with some of my artist books

Above and below: my artist books and zines in the APW windows 


A huge thank you to Simon White, who printed my linocut,
Wished on the Moon. (See previous post). It was a joy to work with Simon. This isn’t the first time we’ve collaborated on a print edition and I certainly hope it won’t be the last. 

Warmest thanks to my partner, Shane Jones, who has been a tower of strength throughout all of this, and much else besides. 

Finally, thank you so much to everyone who came today, including many old friends. Your presence means the world. 


Euan Heng, Catherine Heng and myself

With Leigh Hobbs

L-R: Tim Gresham, Annamaria Plescia, myself, Gaye Britt, Cresside Collette

L-R: James Harrison, Priscilla Ambrosini and Shane Jones

L-R: Cresside Collette, Shane Jones, Simon White

Priscilla Ambrosini, John Waller, Annamaria Plescia and myself 

L-R: Tim Gresham, Cresside Collette, Gaye Britt, Anne Virgo Hertha Kluge-Pott, Kathryn Ryan

From centre: Kathryn Ryan, Gaye Britt, Tim Gresham

 L-R: Shane Jones, myself, Steven Kafkarisos and Angela Cavalieri 

In recent years, my work has mainly focused on painting. I should also have mentioned that working on the linocut edition with Simon has taken me back to my roots and reignited my love of printmaking.