Pages


Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night (until 2012)

And so what has been another hectic, fast paced year skids to a close. It brought one particularly significant change for me, a committed City Girl. Just over a year ago I bought a house in regional Victoria; from the beginning of this year, I’ve been dividing my life and practice between Ballarat and Melbourne. Several aspects of this, including my new studio, are still works in progress, but overall the change has been overwhelmingly positive.

2011 also included a residency and solo exhibition, Winged Women, at The Art Vault in Mildura in June and a second solo exhibition, Re-evolution at Woodbine Art Gallery in Malmsbury in September.

Re-Evolution at Woodbine Art Gallery, Malmsbury

I made several new zines during the year, most notably the Moth Woman Vigilantes (see Moth Woman Press). I'm thrilled that the State Library of Victoria has expressed interest in all of them.

Aside from several group exhibitions, I participated once again in some of Rona Green’s projects, including Familiar/Unfamiliar, an international portfolio exchange exhibition that will tour to Tweed River Art Gallery, NSW in 2012.

Looking Back to See, 2011, linocut, chine colle, featured
in Familiar/Unfamiliar

Days after it was launched at C3 contemporary art space in late September, I flew to London for a month, followed by a fortnight in Berlin. It was my first visit to the latter city and was a lifelong dream come true. I can hardly wait to go back again. (More about this in future blog posts).

In Suspense at Hand Held Gallery, curated by Megan Herring and Duality at Banyule Art Gallery, curated by Claire Watson, both opened when I was overseas, but I caught up with them when I returned. Both were terrific exhibitions that I was proud to be part of.

Making New Year Resolutions is sorely tempting fate. These might be Famous Last Words (I hope not) but I’ve earmarked 2012 as a year to be spent primarily in the studio, with as few outside distractions as possible. There are several projects I’m keen to pursue that have been put on the back burner for far too long.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, creative and peaceful New Year.

Section of the Berlin Wall, October 2011