Pages


Saturday, July 3, 2021

SAVE THE DATE

Backstories, my solo show at Stephen Mclaughlan Gallery has been a long time coming. It was originally scheduled for April 2020, and the works, a combination of paintings and drawings, were all ready to go. Then along came Covid, followed by another unforeseen circumstance that necessitated a second postponement. In the interim period, I made a few more works, all of which may, or may not, make the final cut.

More than 12 months on, reconnecting with the work for Backstories was not a little unnerving. As I unwrapped it all, I repeated ‘it is what it is’ in my mind, and steeled myself to resist the temptation to undertake endless “improvements” that could ultimately prove destructive. (Not without justification have I been accused of overthinking). 


The work pictured here is an exception. With the clarity afforded by time and distance, I simply felt I could do better and am substantially repainting it. The painting has a way to go, but hopefully I’m still on schedule and haven’t condemned it to the art scrapheap.


Backstories opens on 21 July. The opening event is on Saturday 24 July from 2 - 4 pm and the exhibition runs to 7 August. Further information will follow shortly. 


In the meantime, please save the date!


Pictured top: progress view of The Sea She Saw, acrylic on linen, 40.5 x 30.5 cm.