Pages


Friday, August 9, 2019

MIFF 2019


No sooner have I left Melbourne, than I’m back again, if only for the 18 days that make up the 2019 Melbourne International Film Festival.

I’m staying in a small hotel in the city centre. It’s rather basic, but very comfortable and ideally situated at the top end of town, away from the noisy, intrusive construction work that’s blighting much of Melbourne, and, most importantly, within walking distance to the majority of MIFF venues.



My personal list of MIFF favourites is growing apace. At its pinnacle (and unlikely to topple) is God Exists, Her Name is Petrunya (Dir. Teona Strugar Mitevskats, Macedonia, 2018). Its droll, perspicacious story and kick-arse heroine (Zorica Nusheva is magnificent in the title role) have already ensured it a place on my list of all time favourite films. In the coming days, I may encounter others that equal it, but it’s unlikely that any will have my heart as this one does. 

A review is here, but be warned, it contains spoilers:

When not attending screenings, I’m usually found in my hotel room drawing. It contains a generous sized table, which is a perfect work surface. I’m making good progress with the new work; it almost feels like I’m undertaking an artist residency. With MIFF thrown into the mix, it’s my idea of heaven.