Pages


Sunday, August 26, 2018

Artist Talk at Duldig Studio


Above and below are selected highlights from yesterday’s artist talk at Duldig Studio museum and sculpture garden, beginning with a snapshot of myself with two of its former Directors. On my left is Jenny Port and to my right is Eva de Jong-Duldig, daughter of Karl and Slawa Duldig and Founder and Patron of the museum.

After her mother died in 1975, Eva assisted her father in his studio. In the years following his own death in 1986, she took the first steps towards establishing Duldig Studio as a not-for-profit public museum and art gallery, keeping its contacts intact and undertaking the restoration of the house. She was the museum’s Founding Director when it opened to the public in 2002 until her retirement from the position in 2014. To learn more about Eva, click HERE and scroll down.

To say it was a delight and an honour to meet her doesn’t begin to cover it. 

In 2017, Eva completed her family memoir, Driftwood. I’ll treasure the signed copy she presented me with after my talk, and can’t wait to start reading it.


My talk was introduced by Melinda Mockridge, Education and Public Programs and Co-Curator of the museum's current exhibition, SLAWA: Modernist Art and Design.



Directly after my presentation Shane and I were invited to the farewell event of another Director of the museum. After an extremely productive year at the helm, Jenny Port is retiring - at least from that position - although her association with Duldig Studio will continue. 


Jenny was given a wonderful sendoff by Antony de Jong and Ewa de Jong-Duldig.



Warmest thanks to the Duldig Museum for inviting me to be the first speaker in their second series of Creative Women in Focus talks and to everyone who came along. You were a fantastic audience, who made this usually nervous public speaker feel completely at her ease.