Pages


Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Melbourne Athenaeum Library Artist-in-Residence for Melbourne Rare Book Week

Photo credit: Melbourne Athenaeum Library

Melbourne Rare Book Week 2018 is nearly upon us, and for some weeks I’ve been gearing up for my stint as Artist-in-Residence at marvellous Melbourne Athenaeum Library. 

A selection of my artist books and zines will be on display during the residency and I’ll be working on a couple of projects focusing on women in gothic fiction, in particular, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights. (Shelley’s novel and Brontë herself both celebrate bicentenaries in 2018). 

My unbound artist book Leaves of Absence, 2017 (collection: Melbourne Athenaeum Library)
pictured during  its launch at the library in December, 2017. The book will also be exhibited during my residency.

Portrait of Emily Brontë by Branwell Brontë (fragment) C. 1833

Portrait miniature of Mary Shelley
by Reginald Easton, C. 1857


On Wednesday, July 4 at 6 pm I’m giving an informal talk on multi-disciplinary art-making, with a particular focus on book art and the importance of storytelling in my work. The event is free, but bookings are essential. 

For more about to the talk, click HERE and scroll down. To secure a seat, contact Melbourne Athenaeum Library via telephone on 9650 3100, or email: library@melbourneathenaeum.org.au 




Melbourne Rare Book Week runs from 29 June - 8 July. For the full program, go HERE.