Pages


Saturday, February 24, 2018

More watercolour miniatures


As the second month of 2018 nears an end, I remain primarily focused on the ongoing non-portrait miniatures for Patterns of Collecting/From the Bower at the Johnston Collection, a group exhibition opening in early June. It's such a pleasurable and satisfying project to work on, although with several other commitments hovering, I'll soon need to start multi-tasking a lot more.

Untitled watercolour, 2018, 9 x 7 cm

Untitled watercolour, 2018, 12 x 8 cm

As in its previous incarnations (at Warrnambool Art Gallery and the Art Gallery of Ballarat in 2017), Patterns of Collecting will comprise objects from the private collections of Loris Button, Louise Saxton, Carole Wilson and myself, together with a selection of our artworks.

The works featured here are a response to the portrait miniatures held in the museum's permanent collection. Each miniature is made to fit one of the decorative frames I've sourced in antique shops, markets and thrift shops. This is an equally enjoyable component of the project that brings some balance into my life by getting me out of the studio from time to time.

Inspiration for the series is also drawn from mourning and sentimental jewellery. I have a small collection of my own, and all of it will be included in the show.

This morning my friend, Arizona-based artist Deborah McMillion, sent me a link to The Curious Victorian Tradition of Making Art from Human Hair, a fascinating and enlightening article by Allison Meier, in which she reviews Woven Strands: the Art of Human Hair Work, an exhibition currently on view at the Mütter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. It's the first show solely devoted to this subject, at least that I'm aware of. Would that I could see it. To read the article, which is handsomely illustrated, go HERE.